Friday, August 12, 2016

The Beginning

"The bridge of grace will bear your weight, brother. Thousands of big sinners have gone across that bridge, yea, tens of thousands have gone over it. Some have been the chief of sinners and some have come at the very last of their days but the arch has never yielded beneath their weight. I will go with them, trusting to the same support. It will bear me over as it has for them."

Charles Spurgeon

This is the story of the Christian, a sinner who’s trusted the strength of grace to safely get them to the other side of the great chasm that lies between him and a holy God. Nothing more. Nothing less. There are no other aides or supports.
Ephesians 2:8-9 says it this,
“For it is by grace you have been saved through faith and not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast.”
And it continues on in verse 10:
“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”
I have tried so hard to pin down exactly why I am starting this blog but haven’t really been unable to concisely condense it. I guess the best I can do is the above verse, what with being God’s workmanship and walking in the good works that He has prepared for me. It can be easy to push off what we feel He is calling us to because, really, who wants to read my random thoughts on anything? But if this is where He is leading me right now, I don’t really have the choice of disobedience.
God’s grace has been my relentless pursuer throughout my entire life. I believe that God wants us as believer to extend that grace to the world around us. It is a dark and hostile place, but we have the light and the only peace that can ease its woes. That doesn’t mean that we are always nicey-nice, never step on toes or engage in confrontation. It’s just that we, being led by the Spirit, know when to confront and how to hurt without harming.

I take courage from Paul’s exhortation to “not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.” (Galatians 6:9) Who knows what awesome things God has for us, if only we would have the courage to obey and the strength to press on. I guess we’ll have to try it and see. 

2 comments: